Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Ferdinand Effect



Can Ferdinand be considered a fairy tale?  If so, he's always been an iconic hero from my earliest memories.  I haven't analyzed this too thoroughly, but I truly love the idea of  defying the chaos and demands of the world simply by doing what you love best.  It's so epiphanic...it's genius.  And it's been the driving force behind so much of my life...I simply invoke the Ferdinand principle whenever I am feeling pressured by the various demands in my life, be they career, financial, what have you...of course, this will explain my lack of ambition and hence my pathetic earning potential, but I've been able to smell an awful lot of flowers over the years, some more aromatic, let's say, than others.

Other fairy tales I've liked for their imagery are Hansel and Gretel.  Who doesn't love finding your favorite candy in BFE?  Seriously, though, the imagery the story evokes is so amazing.  It's totally a sensory experience and I love that.  And Gretel is so very crafty, a virtual survivalist.

I also like Little Red Riding Hood, but she gets eaten in the end, as does Goldilocks...or at least neither of them are very good role models, just setters of bad examples for kids who might misbehave or make poor choices...

I'll come up with a better list and add it to the comments.  While I was reading your post below, I thought of a story line something like this: protagonist in 80s SF goes there to find love, maybe finds heartache instead, but because of that or in spite of it, she finds what she loves to do.  Vague, I know, but it's a character who metamorphoses from a caterpillar to a butterfly via a trainwreck.  OK, I'll stop here for now...the plot thickens or at least emulsifies and hopefully doesn't curdle.


No comments: